Zelurker continues to improve upon yoyofr’s original NeoCD PSP v0.5 emulator and has now released a brand new build, v0.8!
A lot has changed in this newest version, including a lot more menu options, speed fixes, and other bugs. As always, the source code is also available for download for all you burgeoning developers to learn from, or experienced devs to use to improve upon one of the PSP’s finest emulators.
- Fixed speed of animations (waterfall in blue's journey...).
- Fixed voices too fast in art of fighting (and maybe some others).
- Fixed red and blue inverted when clearing the screen in hardware mode (it was producing a red sky in crossed swords, and a few bad colors in some other games).
- Some files were really intended not to be loaded in the neocd, such as these weird samples in aof, and another in neo turf master. Now they are correctly ignored.
- The rasterline interrupt is now emulated which enables playing art of fighting 2 at 115 or 130% (button B when starting a game) The raster effects are not yet emulated, the background in super sidekicks2 is now all green !
- A new gui from Radius !
- Added support for the fonts of the SDL_gfx project, and added a font selector to the new gui.
- Fixed the crash in neogeo cd special.
- Added more options than what anybody will ever need for the osd : you can now choose if you want to see or not mp3 tracks, mp3 errors, if you want a black or transparent background and I added a profiler display that you can choose from the "Show FPS" option. This profiler is mainly usefull to me to see where the emulation looses time, but you can try it if you are curious ! All this is now in the "OSD..." menu.
- Acceleration : a basic optimization for the 68k handlers and I won about 15 fps on the art of fighting main menu, and a trick on the raster counter helped me to win about 30 fps in ninja commando, and the hall of fame in magician lord (now maybe you don't have enough time to input your name in magician lord, oh well...).
v0.5 My Fix Alpha 6:
- Fixed a palette format error when clearing screen in hardware render mode.
- Fixed a problem when calculating frame rate.
- Other minor fixes.
- The copy-protected neocd games don't need to be cracked anymore (as in version 0.5). It was a very primitive copy protection system !
- Adjust fps to 59 fps : nam 1975 intro was obviously too fast in 0.7.1(not in sync with cdaudio sound).
- The music not playing in the kof serie seems to be fixed.
- The path of the last rom loaded is saved now when you exit the emulator.
- Fixed crash in breakers : this is once again related to the upload area, so I can just hope it won't break other games.
- Try harder to recognise game files from ipl.txt : some originals have weird filenames in the ipl.txt (a double dragon version is in this case). Now if I can't find the file type in the extension, I look for it in the whole filename, which seems to work for this double dragon version, at least..
- Fixed sound effects : they are now much clearer, and in real stereo. The difference is especially noticeable in bust a move.
- Fixed a last possible corruption of the memcard.bin file if quiting with the home key. Now it should be safe to use the home key to quit at any time, and there should be no way left to corrupt any file (mp3 or other). If you use fw 2.0, be sure to use the Exit command from the gui though, or do otherwise at your own risk (I am not testing neocdpsp with fw 2.0).
- The sound effects do not stop anymore after 3 or 4 games (finally !) - Added some game messages at the bottom of the screen (now you know when an mp3 track is starting to play, if it didn't find it, if there was an error decoding it, and so on...).
- In previous version, if an mp3 had some id3 tags it couldn't be played in neocdpsp. This is fixed now, sorry for those who encountered this problem.
- Now you can also place your mp3s in PSP/MUSIC. Example : say you have a game in a directory mslug. The you can put its mp3s as previously in mslug/neocd.mp3/ but now you can also put them in /PSP/MUSIC/mslug/ if you prefer. After all these are mp3s, so you should be able to play them from the psp interface if you want to ! The directory in music where you put the mp3 must be named exactly like the directory of the game for neocdpsp.
- The mp3 decoder is a little more resistant to crashes, that is if you have an mp3 file at 0 or 1 byte after you have filled your memory card, it won't crash anymore. I don't say it will not every crash again though, there are probably files which can make it crash !.
- Fixed sound and music in top players golf.
- Fixed Art of Fighting 3 freezing at start of gameplay.
- The loading of zipped games is even faster than in 0.6.2 !.
- The ingame sound effects of samurai spirits rpg work now, the game is still very long to load, but it was already long on the original hardware and is now limited by the access speed of the memory card.
- Now the memory card is writen only when you quit the game, not everytime the game tries to write to it.
- Added "Select lock" option to the gui. When enabled the controls become:.
Select + LTrigger instead of LTrigger for the gui.
Select + RTrigger instead of RTrigger for snapshots.
and Select + Cross instead of Select alone (pause in most games).
This for those who press the triggers by accident !
- Added separate-key rapid-fire support (read below).
- Added cute Battery Meter to menus.
- Cleaned up menu browsing minutely.
- Added Button Combo Mapping.
> A+B, A+C, B+C, B+D, C+D
- Added default key mapping loading in case of upgrade/screwup.
- Tiny alteration to Memory Card writing.
- Key Config.
- Cleaned Memory between games (should now be "1 game, 1 card").
- Occasional visual prompts when it's saving/loading.